Saturday, August 26, 2006

The Occasional Serious Moment



I discovered this amazing site, Some Gave All, from one of my miscellaneous blogs that I read. To scroll down the page and read the names of those who have died in Iraq and Afghanistan is a little overwhelming. If you have a chance, go over and visit this site. You won't be sorry. While you are there, leave the ladies a comment - you can tell them fridaynightgirl sent you.

This site brought it into sharp focus that alot of my blog is about really trivial stuff and that occasionally I should use this forum to state those things about which I feel passionately.

I support our troops and the job they are doing all over the world. Whether they are in active combat situations or not, they still stand as the most visible reminders of the protector nation that is the United States. They go places that I will never see and do jobs that I would never hope to have to do and they do it with terrible compensation and almost no recognition.

Being a professional soldier is one of the more maligned careers. Soldiers receive awful pay, are constantly put in danger, are spirited all over the globe at little more than a moment's notice, are pulled away from family, friends, home and church to do their "duty." Not a single soldier in all of my acquaintance, though, complains about doing their job.

It is assumed that somebody only joins the military because they aren't fit for college or any other "real" career. I met somebody recently that purposely joined the military because that WAS what he wanted to be - a professional soldier. He is happy with his career and happy with his life. He is coming up on fifteen years in the military. I haven't kept the same job EVER for longer than 2 years (other than being a full-time mom) and I've reached the executive level in my chosen career.

Anyway, this is a fantastic site and I honor the men and women in the US Military. Wherever you are tonight, God Bless You and Thank you. I sleep safely knowing that you are out there, doing the job you do.

3 comments:

  1. You know...

    You have to be 'careful' of those Joe's - and never date or marry one...

    :)

    ReplyDelete