Tuesday, November 28, 2006

And They Danced

Saturday night, I had Mom & Dad over for a little holiday socializing. Mom is a regular fixture at the house, but Dad is more formal and isn't as comfortable just "hanging out," preferring an actual invitation. So, bearing that in mind, I invited them over for music, food and a movie. I pulled out all the stops, setting the table with a pretty Christmas tablecloth, using all of the holiday dishes to serve little snacks. Mom discovered a really yummy hickory smoked cheese ball, coated in sliced almonds - YUM!!

We sat and ate and visited - it was so fun...

Then, I put on my vintage CD and my dad just lit up. He really loves Big Band, you see. It was fun watching him smile and hum along with the tunes. When the last song came around, "It's Been a Long, Long Time" by the Harry James Orchestra, I slyly suggested to Mother that she and Dad should dance. You should have seen the look on his face. And then, they danced. It was so sweet. Sweet doesn't even begin to grasp the scope of the emotion. I left them to their dance and the music and went into the other room.

Things haven't always been easy for them and it was so great to be a part of such a tender moment. Thank God for Dancing.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing such a sweet moment for your parents ! Sometimes it's fun to interact with our parents like a grownup, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing such a sweet moment for your parents ! Sometimes it's fun to interact with our parents like a grownup, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete