Sunday, January 21, 2007

Pass the Kleenex



So, last night, K and I get home from working a donor reception and an OnStage show and decided that we were in the mood for a good cry. Girls, you know what I'm talking about.


I am so thankful to have K. Sure, she drives me nuts. Sometimes the seven year difference in our age blares our differences at us. Sometimes my natural cynicism and tendency to over-indulge in speaking before thinking and her soft heart and tendency to take everything personally totally clash and you'd never be able to tell that we are best friends. But we are. She is the most tender-hearted person I've ever met and that makes her sensitive to the needs of others. She is one of the most self-less people I've ever met. She loves with her whole heart. How can puts up with me I'll never figure out. But she does. And, I will always be thankful.


So, J has been gone a little more than a month. I've done a pretty good job of not dealing with my grief and my worry - until last night. I don't know what it was that made me realize that I needed a good, hard cry but I did. K seemed to be in a similar mood so we decided to pick a movie that would guarantee a good sobfest.


What did we watch? We Were Soldiers.


This is such a good movie. From IMDB.com:
In a place soon to be known as The Valley of Death, in a small clearing called landing zone X-Ray, Lt. Colonel Hal Moore (Mel Gibson) and 400 young fathers, husbands, brothers, and sons, all troopers from an elite American combat division, were surrounded by 4,000 North Vietnamese soldiers. The ensuing battle was one of the most savage in U.S. history. We Were Soldiers Once...And Young is a tribute to the nobility of those men under fire, their common acts of uncommon valor, and their loyalty to and love for one another.

Needless to say, I cried so hard it made my head hurt. I cried myself to sleep; something I've not done in a good long time. Once I started, I just couldn't stop. It was like the last few months of worrying about him leaving and then his actual leaving and waiting on pins and needles for that next email that lets me know he's safe all caught up with me last night.
Today I feel better.

2 comments:

  1. i am very impressed- and very proud of you for being prepared to deal with how you feel instead of stashing it under a rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am very impressed- and very proud of you for being prepared to deal with how you feel instead of stashing it under a rock!

    ReplyDelete