Saturday, July 19, 2008

songs in my dreams

My choir director from high school is the vocal director for the musical.  He asked me the other day if I'd like to do a recital.  Tonight, my mind began to whir with ideas and snippets of songs that have followed me more than half my life. 

As I've gone through scores and song collections, I have reveled in memories from high school and college - from the first aria I ever heard Io son l'umile ancela from Adriana Lecouvreur to the first aria that ever made me cry Tu che di gel.  I've listened to dozens of arias from dozens of singers tonight; each one touching the piece with her own individual gift.  Some were not good; others simply divine.  Some I've sung; others I've dreamed of singing. 

I've come up with the beginnings of a list.  Most recitals I've been to feature between 11-14 songs.  So, here it is. 
















































Song/Aria

Tu che di gel
Work/Opera

Turandot
Composer

Puccini
Winter Song Lee Hoiby
CrucifixionHermit SongsBarber
Allerseelen Strauss
Si, mi chiamano Mimila BohemePuccini
Vissi d'arteToscaPuccini
Dupuis le jourLouise 
Ebben? Ne andro lontanaLa WallyCatalani
Io son l'umile ancellaAdriana LecouvreurCilea

 

I know I need some happier songs in there - most of these are pretty dramatic.  Deciding the order is going to be tough because several of these are grand finale caliber; Tosca's prayer; Mimi's sweet introduction or Butterfly or Liu's death arias are exquisite and certainly worthy to finish the evening.  Tosca is the obvious choice because it is the most dramatic.  I mean, goodness, she kills a man with a steak knife after singing Vissi d'arte.  Chilling.  But Butterfly's death aria is magnificent. 

I saw a staging once of Butterfly, in Dallas, that completely stunned me.  Butterfly is not one my favorites because it feels so long.  But Un bel di vedremo was sung to her very young son.  The sight of the very small child on stage was my undoing.  When they took the child away and she commits suicide, I just wept.  And the B flat at the end is fabulous.  Who could go wrong ending a recital that way? 

I love opera.  (can you tell?)

1 comment:

  1. OMG you have to tell me when this is going to be - I am going to come. Can I get VIP tickets?

    ReplyDelete