Saturday, April 29, 2006

That was SOME Weather

Last night I watched The Passion of the Christ. At the moment that Christ died, a real clap of thunder shook the house. It was incredible. Then, it rained the rest of the night - sheets of water, thunder and even hail.

Wow. I have resisted watching the movie again because of the intensity. I couldn't watch all of the flogging scene. It is just too gory. I will never forget those images for the rest of my life.

I didn't cry this time until Mary went to him when he fell; when she flashed back to his childhood. Oh, that just gets me every time. Needless to say that, with the very real storm going on outside - I had a good hard cry. It was just what I needed to get things back in perspective.
_____
Today, the sun is shining. I have a family reunion today. Ugh. These affairs are always uncomfortable - especially with people I have never met. This is another side of my grandfather's family. I am going because my mother asked me to. In fact, she's been asking me to go and meet these people for years and years now and I always had one reason (justified or otherwise) not to go.

I don't like family reunions. I never really have. I don't fit in with these people. They are nice enough folks but I have nothing in common with them. They enjoy things like hunting, fishing and playing dominoes. I enjoy fine art, opera, theatre and literature. They watch tv and I read books.

But this is the other side of my grandfather's family and I've never met them so I can at least meet them and try to get to know them. Here's to hopin'..

See, Sarah, I don't always write at night. ::wink:: Have a lovely day!

2 comments:

  1. I hate family reunions too. Never have liked them. Same problem...I'd rather talk politics they'd rather play dominoes...I don't even know how to play chickenfoot, they don't even know who the current Secretary of State is. I think it's not so much of an age difference - I love talking to older, MATURE and intelligent folks. It's a cultural difference. They talk about baseball and I'm asking who got to go see Giselle at the local theatre! I totally can relate! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate family reunions too. Never have liked them. Same problem...I'd rather talk politics they'd rather play dominoes...I don't even know how to play chickenfoot, they don't even know who the current Secretary of State is. I think it's not so much of an age difference - I love talking to older, MATURE and intelligent folks. It's a cultural difference. They talk about baseball and I'm asking who got to go see Giselle at the local theatre! I totally can relate! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete