Friday, September 8, 2006

My First Everyday Things Entry

"If you want any one thing too much it's likely to disappoint. The healthy way is to learn to like the everyday things, like soft beds and buttermilk..."-- Augustus McCrae-"Lonesome Dove"

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Ok Jules, I'm throwing in my $.02. (you have such a fun blog!) My everyday thing today is singing.

Yes, I have lots of training in opera and, at one time in my young life, believed myself destined for the great stages. Alas, the desire to make a stable living and have a home and family was stronger. *grin*

I have loved to sing all my life. My mother tells that I started singing before I could speak a full sentence and I believe her (my daughter did the same thing!). I love to sing. When I am sad, I can sing my sorrow. When I am happy, I can sing my heart's delight. Song is the perfect way to express what, sometimes, words fail to completely grasp.

I took this gift for granted until I met a woman who had, in her youth, been a great singer. In her early 40s, though, she developed cancer on her vocal chords. The only way to save her life was to surgically remove her chords. Her song was forever silenced. The sorrow etched in the face of this woman who had once, like me, experienced the true power and joy of song and had it stripped away from her was enough to change me. Never again did I take for granted the simple ability to open my mouth and let my heart pour out.

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful gift to have. That is something to be thankful for. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful gift to have. That is something to be thankful for. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My roommate, with whom I shared expenses for 6 years, is an opera singer. She has her masters in vocal performance-opera from the UMKC Conservatory of Music. I was blessed by her beautiful lyric soprano voice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My roommate, with whom I shared expenses for 6 years, is an opera singer. She has her masters in vocal performance-opera from the UMKC Conservatory of Music. I was blessed by her beautiful lyric soprano voice.

    ReplyDelete